Low Carb, Gluten-Free Brownie/Cheesecake
This deliciously decadent cheesecake is (almost) guilt-free in that it contains low-fat cream cheese, almond meal instead of wheat, and is low in sugar. The pictures shown are for a mini-version. The recipe below will make a full-sized cheesecake. This recipe is largely based on the recipe found online here, but with real sugar i.s.o. sweetener.
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 2 oz bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup almond flour or meal
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- pinch salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar (if you’re into bitter chocolate this is enough, the original recipe however calls for 3/4 cup sweetener/sugar)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 lb of Neufchâtel cheese (1/3 less fat that regular cream cheese)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar (again, you can do less if you would like it less sweet)
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F and butter a 9-inch springform pan. Cover the bottom of the pan in parchment paper.
- Melt the butter and chocolate.
- Whisk the almond flour, cocoa powder and salt in a bowl.
- In second bowl, beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- Beat in the flour mixture and the melted butter and chocolate.
- Spread the brownie batter evenly in the pan. Bake for 15 minutes and remove the pan from the oven.
- Lower the oven temperature to 300 degrees F.
- Beat the cheese until smooth and add the eggs, sugar, vanilla and cream.
- Pour the filling over the brownie base and bake for 35 to 40 minutes until the center is set but still a bit jiggly.
- Allow to cool before attempting to remove the sides of the pan. Refrigerate covered for at least 3 hours.
Note, the cheesecake tastes even better on Day 2. Patience is a virtue…