Quinoa and Black Bean Salad
Quinoa is a great option for lunch or dinner since it provides a great amount of protein and fiber to our bodies!
I am always looking for new creative quinoa recipes. This is a recipe from Mary Clever, a healthy celebrity chef. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
- 2 cups quinoa, white or red, rinsed
- 1 small shallot, peeled and halved
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 ear fresh corn, kernels cut off (or roughly 1 cup cooked corn)
- 1 small cucumber, seeded and diced
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 or 3 scallions, chopped
- 1 tbsp. chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 tbsp. chopped mint leaves
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 2 cups cooked black beans
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds, toasted and ground
- 1 tsp. chopped garlic
- Salt and pepper
- Put the rinsed quinoa in a saucepan with the shallots, garlic cloves, bay leaf and 1 tablespoon of salt . Add 4 cups of water, bring to a boil, and cook over high heat until water evaporates. Turn off heat, cover, and let rest for ten minutes or so. Remove and discard shallot, garlic, and bay leaf. Set quinoa aside.
- While quinoa is cooking, heat 1/2-tablespoon olive oil and quickly saute the corn kernels. Season with salt and pepper, and set aside to cool.
- When the quinoa and corn have cooled, combine them with the additional vegetables, herbs, beans, spices, remaining olive oil, and season to taste with salt and pepper.