As the summer is coming to an end we can’t miss the opportunity to enjoy some of the fresh fruits and vegetables that still are out there. I am going to share with you a very simple recipe that can be done in just 10 minutes, you can either cook it and take it to work or just enjoy it at home. Any of the vegetables could be replaced with fresh ones you have in your fridge, the main character in this salad is the quinoa.
Most grains are considered to be inadequate as total protein sources, however quinoa is a very rich grain and by consuming it we get a protein packed vegetarian meal.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 2 avocados
- Fresh parsley chopped
- 3 tomatoes chopped
- 2 cucumber chop
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- ½ cup red onion chopped
- 2 lemons
- 2 spoons Dijon mustard
- 1 spoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Rinse the quinoa several times, draining the water in a fine mesh strainer, until the water is clear.
- In a pot, put 500 ml of water to high heat and add the quinoa.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a minimum.
- Stir and cook over low heat for 10 minutes or until the quinoa is cooked (it gets soft). Turn off the heat, drain and cool.
- While the quinoa is cooking, cut all vegetables as indicated in the ingredients.
- In a bowl, mix all the vegetables with quinoa.
- Make a dressing with olive oil, lemon or vinegar, mustard and salt and pepper.
- Pour dressing into the bowl with the salad and stir gently until everything is well blended.
Recipe courtesy of Mariana Diez de Sollano.